File a Complaint About Muddy Silt Ladden Water

The SVDC Board of Directors has worked for over a year to try to get answers and to get help putting an end to the mud and silt coming into the lake from the fingers area. The Board is now asking for our help in this endeavor. It is felt that if our community makes phone calls en masse in the next week and files complaints, someone from one of the government agencies may finally listen and look further into what is going on and where the influx of mud and silt is coming from which turns the water brown after a rain.

When calling, some questions you could ask are: 1.) What is the source of the mud and silt coming into the lake from the fingers along Route 160? 2.) What is being done to mitigate and end the mud and silt laden water from entering Lake Stonycreek? 3.) Ask to file a formal complaint about the poor water quality and dirty water being discharged into the lake after it rains.

It is felt that one source of the muddy water is coming from the surface mining being done along Route 160 by Heritage Mining. The dirty water enters Boone Run which feeds into Lake Stonycreek. Another big source is The New Baltimore Sportsman Club. They clear cut their hillside 2 years ago for timber and there is considerable ongoing erosion on their property since the hillside was never stabilized after being clear cut. This mud filled water heads right down to the water that feeds into the lake.

The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is responsible for these issues. Please call DEP Erosion Control Officer Mr. Keith Largent at 814-289-4250 to file a complaint and ask questions. Keith Largent’s superior is Frank Calderone. Frank can be reached at 412-442-4318.

DEP Mining Complaints can be made to Dave Thomas at 814-472-1900 – or – Daniel Weaver at 814-472-1900.

You may also call the PA Fish Commission – Pat Ferko at 814-445-8974 to file a complaint about water quality with the PA Fish Commission.

Another contact person would be the PA Department of the Environment Secretary, Mr. Patrick McDonnell. There is an online complaint form that you can fill out at this web address

Please take the time to make some phone calls and file a complaint so we can hopefully get an end to the silt entering our lake. The health of our lake needs you. Thanks!